Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SuperContest Week 1 thread: lines Wed., selections Sat., grade it all through weekend

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SuperContest Week 1 thread: lines Wed., selections Sat., grade it all through weekend

We'll again do our extremely popular weekly threads on the SuperContest (and SuperContest Gold). For those who don't know, we start each week's thread with the updated standings that are posted at the Westgate on Tuesday (since this is Week 1 and everyone is 0-0, we won't have that this week), then we post the week's contest lines when they get released on Wednesday afternoon, then we post the consensus plays from all entrants (the number of times each team was selected, both in relation to the Top 5 selected teams as well as comparing each individual game). We also post the leaders' selections as well as a list of well-known handicappers and another list of members of VFV Nation who are participating in the SuperContest (hopefully ComptrBob will be back to offer his lists and analysis as well). Then, we grade the results during the course of the weekend and continue through until we update the standings at the end of the Monday Night Football game(s). And then we start the next week with a new thread.

And all the while we have discussions amongst ourselves on all the happening of the SuperContest, so come back every day even in between the major postings.

This is normally where we will post the updated records for the consensus in both SC Classic and Gold, but let's get to the Week 1 lines:
    THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 6, 2018
    1 FALCONS 5:20 PM 2 EAGLES* PK
    SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 9, 2018
    3 STEELERS 10:00 AM 4 BROWNS* +3.5
    5 VIKINGS* 10:00 AM 6 49ERS +6.5
    7 COLTS* 10:00 AM 8 BENGALS +3
    9 RAVENS* 10:00 AM 10 BILLS +7.5
    11 JAGUARS 10:00 AM 12 GIANTS* +3
    13 SAINTS* 10:00 AM 14 BUCCANEERS +9.5
    15 PATRIOTS* 10:00 AM 16 TEXANS +6.5
    17 TITANS 10:00 AM 18 DOLPHINS* +1.5
    19 CHARGERS* 1:05 PM 20 CHIEFS +3.5
    21 BRONCOS* 1:25 PM 22 SEAHAWKS +3
    23 PANTHERS* 1:25 PM 24 COWBOYS +3
    25 CARDINALS* 1:25 PM 26 REDSKINS +1
    27 PACKERS* 5:20 PM 28 BEARS +7.5
    MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 10, 2018
    29 LIONS* 4:10 PM 30 JETS +6.5
    31 RAMS 7:20 PM 32 RAIDERS* +4

If I had to pick every game, I would take:
    EAGLES
    BROWNS
    VIKINGS
    BENGALS
    RAVENS
    GIANTS
    BUCS
    TEXANS
    TITANS
    CHIEFS
    SEAHAWKS
    PANTHERS
    CARDS
    BEARS
    LIONS
    RAMS

Comment

My brother, Tom, and I always share any prize money won. We discuss the games, but each of us has the final decision on which teams to use in an entry. Our entries have the ''aliases'' 1AAARJB (Richie) & 1AAATSB (Tom). This week we have:
      Richie: GIANTS +3, BENGALS +3, BUCS +9.5, TEXANS +6.5 & BEARS +7.5
      Tom: BENGALS +3, TEXANS +6.5, TITANS -1.5, PANTHERS -3 & BEARS +7.5
      I scratched the BROWNS in favor of the GIANTS due to the possible suspension of the STEELERS/BROWNS game. Heavy rain, gusty winds and lightning are expected in Cleveland.

Comment

Tweeted just as the registration deadline passed at 11 am PT:

Dave Tuley@ViewFromVegas
        #SuperContest drew record 3,123 entries (unofficial as I’ll let @LVSuperBook audit) as registration closed at 11 a.m. PT, breaking last year’s record of 2,748; #SuperContestGolf attracts 128 after 98 in inaugural season @VSiNLive

Comment

Greetings - Dave/all,

Hope everyone is ready for a great 2018 NFL season - I know I am!!

I'm #1755 in the SC, and am the last entrant in the GOLD....figured I would be, as I signed up for that one about 10:30 today.

Best of luck....

Comment

Same picks in both -

#1755 - browns, bengals, texans, chargers, rams
            # 128 - browns, bengals, texans, chargers, rams

Comment

Dave Tuley@ViewFromVegas
              My "Contest Corner" column @VSiNLive leads off with #SuperContest continuing its record run (maybe this year's expectations were just a little too high) at 3,123 entries; also updates on @GoldenNuggetLV (its own record of 307 -- note: apparently it's been changed to 308) & @WilliamHillUS (approx 250) https://www.vsin.com/contest-corner-supercontest-sets-another-record/

Dave Tuley@ViewFromVegas
              ICYMI2: #SuperContest Top 5 Most-Picked #NFL teams in Week 1 (fade, follow or just follow as a SC spectator): Bengals +3, Rams -4, Ravens -7.5, Vikings -6.5, Texans +6.5; #SuperContestGold Top 5 are Bengals +3, Texans +6.5, Bears +7.5, Broncos -3, Rams -4 @VSiNLive

Here are the number of times each team was selected by the record 3,123 SuperContestants (though 19 were no-shows for Week 1...ouch!):
              CIN 1218
              LAR 1052
              BAL 907
              MIN 854
              HOU 848
              DEN 807
              CAR 777
              NYG 730
              CHI 648
              ARI 587
              PIT 548
              NO 501
              DET 498
              TEN 479
              LAC 474
              KC 458
              MIA 433
              JAX 317
              CLE 300
              OAK 285
              ATL 283
              SF 275
              WAS 275
              DAL 263
              SEA 256
              NE 245
              TB 237
              GB 222
              IND 201
              NYJ 194
              PHI 191
              BUF 157
              And here is our exclusive list of the consensus picks showing each matchup, and we’ll grade these results through the weekend:

ATL 283 ***LOSS***
              PHI 191

Overall consensus starts 0-1 with the Falcons coming up short in the Thursday night opener.

====================

PIT 548 ****LOSS***
              CLE 300

SF 275
              MIN 854 ***WIN as No. 4 Most Selected Team***

CIN 1218 ***WIN as No. 1 Most Selected Team***
              IND 201

BUF 157
              BAL 907 ***WIN as No. 3 Most Selected Team***

JAX 317
              NYG 730 ***LOSS***

TB 237
              NO 501 ***LOSS***

HOU 848 ***LOSS as No. 5 Most Selected Team***
              NE 245

TEN 479 ***LOSS*** (including this in "early" games even though it took more than 7 hours to complete with two delays)
              MIA 433

Top 5 Consensus starts 3-1 with HOU only loss...overall consensus 3-5 on the day (3-6 including Thursday night).

====================

KC 458
              LAC 474 ***LOSS***

SEA 256
              DEN 807 ***PUSH***

DAL 263
              CAR 777 ***WIN****

WAS 275
              ARI 587 ***LOSS***

Consensus went 1-2-1 in the "afternoon" session here in Vegas...4-7-1 today and 4-8-1 including Thursday).

====================

CHI 648 ***WIN***
              GB 222

Aaron Rodgers rallied the Packers to victory, but the Bears still covered for SuperContest backers as the overall consensus improved to 5-8-1 with the two Monday nighters to go.

====================

NYJ 194
              DET 498 ***LOSS***

LAR 1052 ***WIN as No. 2 Most Selected Team***
              OAK 285

Lions' loss dropped overall consensus to 5-9-1; Rams' win and cover improved Top 5 Consensus to 4-1 while overall consensus finishes 6-9-1.

SuperContest Gold Top 5 went 3-1-1 with wins by CIN, CHI & LAR and the loss on HOU and push by DEN.

Comment

According to Friends of VFV "fantasyfootballcontest.com" there have been 20 perfect 5-0 cards so far in SC Classic, including my VSiN boss Brent Musburger. I'm at 3-1 with the Raiders +4 tonight for hopefully a 4-1 or at least 3-1-1. I'll include this list down to those at 2-1 that still have a shot at a 4-1 week.
                Weekly Record Count

5-0 20 0.6%
                4-0-1 50 1.6%
                4-0 58 1.9%
                4-1 153 4.9%
                3-1-1 185 5.9%
                3-0-1 81 2.6%
                3-2 289 9.3%
                3-1 328 10.5%
                3-0 29 0.9%
                2-0-1 22 0.7%
                2-1-1 200 6.4%
                2-2-1 197 6.3%
                2-1 99 3.2%

Comment

We're also covering the SuperContest Gold here (though not as extensively). bangthebook is in the lead at 4-0-1 but there are four at 4-0 with the Lions and another at 4-0 with the Rams.

The Top 5 Consensus in Gold stands at 2-1-1 (wins on CIN and CHI, loss on HOU, push on DEN) with the Rams pending tonight.

Comment

Additional SuperContest Classic info going into the 2 MNF games:

Of the 58 cappers at 4-0-0, remaining pick; LAR 43, DET 9, OAK 4, NYJ 2.
                    Of the 29 cappers at 3-0-0, remaining picks; DET/LAR 22, DET/OAK 5, NYJ/OAK 2.

Comment

Additional SuperContest Gold info: going into the 2 MNF games:

As Dave posted: Of the 5 cappers at 4-0-0, remaining pick; LAR 1, DET 4.
                      The one capper at 3-0-0, remaining picks; DET/LAR.

Comment

Is it true that 19 entries neglected to get their picks in before the deadline?

Comment

Originally posted by TARB View Post
                          Is it true that 19 entries neglected to get their picks in before the deadline?
                          Yes, 19 with "No Selections" for Week 1, GOLD had two "No Selections" for Week 1.
                          Last edited by ComptrBob; 09-10-2018, 07:21 PM.

Comment

• mcgrath
                            mcgrath commented
                            Editing a comment
                            19 entries with no Week One picks sounds like 2 or 3 actual contestants dropped the ball, and one now scared Proxy with 15 angry clients dropped a huge ball.

Thanks for joining us, ComptrBob!

Comment

Dave Tuley@ViewFromVegas
                            #SuperContest Top 5 Consensus went 4-1 (wins by CIN, LAR, BAL. MIN and loss by No. 5 pick HOU); #SuperContestGold Top 5 went 3-1-1 (push by DEN); 28 SC Classic players started with a perfect 5-0 including @brentmusburger of @VSiNLive; Give Me My Name 7 only Gold player to go 5-0

Dave Tuley@ViewFromVegas
                            CORRECTION: There were actually 65 #SuperContest Classic players that started 5-0 @LVSuperBook, including @brentmusburger our fearless leader @VSiNLive (the 28 was how many 5-0s if the Raiders had covered) h/t @fansupercontest; #SuperContestGold had just 1 5-0 (Give Me My Name 7)

Comment

• Vegasportsline.com
                              Vegasportsline.com commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Thanks for the all updates guys - and yes big welcome to ComptrBob!! I almost inquired about him a couple of days ago, and then I found him up the member list, and figured it was a just a matter of time.....

I did notice the (2) "No selections over the weekend, really surprised me for the $5K fee especially, not that $1.5K isn't enough to scoff at.

Ended up 3-2 in both Classic and GOLD - with Rams cover tonight.

Just for grins, I graded the first 45 GOLD contestants (in order listed on WESTGATE site), and came up with 127.5 (WINS) points/45 entries = an average of 2.83 (WINS) or points per entry, equating to a win percentage of ~ 57%.....of course this is a very small sampling, and only includes 35% of the entries.

Later guys.....
                          Working...
                          X