Bowl Contest

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowl Contest

Anyone doing a bowl contest on this site?

I propose picking 7 sides (no totals) against the consensus spread in three tiers for a total number of 21 picks. Tier 1: December 15 through December 22. Tier 2: December 26 through December 29. Tier 3: December 31 through January 1. The Championship game on January 7 could be the tie-breaker. Picks must be entered before 4:00 PM PST (7:00 EST) Friday December 14, 2018. Here are the consensus lines for tier 1:

North Texas
    Utah State 9.5

Tulane 3.5
    UL-Lafayette

Arizona State
    Fresno State 4.5

Eastern Michigan ''p''
    Georgia Southern

Mid Tennessee State
    Appalachian State 7

Northern Illinois
    Alabama Birmingham 1.5

Ohio 3
    San Diego State

Marshall 2.5
    South Florida

Florida International
    Toledo 6

BYU 12.5
    WMU

Wake Forest
    Memphis 4

Houston
    Army 3

Buffalo 2.5
    Troy

Louisiana Tech
    Hawaii 2

Comment

Utah State -9.5
      Arizona State +4.5
      Ohio -3
      South Florida +2.5
      Memphis -4
      Buffalo -2.5
      Louisiana Tech +2

Comment

If this contest goes, somebody else will have to grade it, I won't be doing so. I will, however, post the consensus lines for tiers 2 & 3.

Comment

I'm seriously considering TARB's proposal...I was thinking 2 tiers with 7 picks each, splitting the bowl season in half...but while that makes it more selective, it also makes it more likely to have multiple ties for 1st place...only drawback is it makes everyone pick more than half the games, so it dilutes people's best bets to have that many plays, however, I think most of us bet more than half the bowls so it's not too out of line.

So those are my initial thoughts...but I really like TARB's tiers as they break up the contest easier (both for posting of lines as well as grading) with the natural breaks in the schedule for NFL Sundays...would welcome more input...for those who don't know (and clearly TARB tailored his suggestion because he's in the loop), our contest site is set up for 7 NCAA picks at a time (obviously per week during the regular season), so unless I want to spend more money to get a programmer in to change the inner workings of the program, it's easiest to stick to the 7-pick format.

I guess that while I'm open to other suggestions (and feel free to post them below), this is probably what we'll do with lines being posted next week (note: unlike the regular season NCAA contest that mirrors the William Hill contest, I'm a fan of going with the most realistic line possible as opposed to making everything a half-point to avoid pushes. I believe if a game is 3 everywhere that it should be 3 in a contest and a push is a push...no one should be rewarded just because they take -2.5 or +3.5 when the line is 3 everywhere (and no one should be forced to decide if they're willing to lay -3.5 when it's 3 everywhere (or +2.5 if a line shaded in that direction). Again, feel free to agree or disagree.

Comment

why pay for a programmer, just do as you said, two tiers more of a choice and the 7 selections

Comment

Either way sounds like a good deal. It would certainly make the bowl season a lot more interesting. Some of the games don't look too interesting and this would spice it up a little. Thanks Tarb and Dave.
              Whatever you guys decide is good with me. Thank much.

Comment

3 tier... more tier winners.. more chances for a VFV shirt...LOL
                "A missed FG is a turnover " Michael Lombardi
                “The bigger the edge, the fewer the bets we need to verify our strategy.” Jim Makos

Comment

Dave, would you like/care if I started a straight-up pick-em pool thru ESPN like we have done in years past? If so, let me know and I will get er done!

Comment

Originally posted by Barryt View Post
                    3 tier... more tier winners.. more chances for a VFV shirt...LOL
                    I need to get more shirts ordered LMEAO!

Originally posted by gcotton View Post
                    Dave, would you like/care if I started a straight-up pick-em pool thru ESPN like we have done in years past? If so, let me know and I will get er done!
                    Yes, gcotton...sounds great! We usually get a good turnout for those as well (not nearly as much as March Madness, but let's do it!).

Comment

Working...
                    X