No announcement yet.

Ranking the CFB playoff teams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Committee really needs to drop Alabama far enough that even if LSU loses to a crappy team, they would still be ranked ahead of them based on overall resume (and, of course, winning AT Bama).

Comment

• TARB
      TARB commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, I am predicting #5, but hoping for #6 or #7. We'll see tonight.

The remaining schedule for LSU is:

LSU 21
    Mississippi

Arkansas
    LSU ... about 45

Texas A&M
    LSU .... about 21

So, I just don't see a regular season loss for LSU.

Where does the SEC Championship game occur? Atlanta?

LSU ........ about 4 if played in Atlanta .... about 5.5 if played somewhere else
    Georgia
    Last edited by TARB; 11-12-2019, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Full disclosure, I am NOT a Bama or SEC fan, I agree with JPdawg about Bama. However, DaveTuley TARB...

I think if they ever go to an 8 team playoff, power 5 conference champions shouldn't be a lock to make the playoff field and here's why... Take this year for example, if Clemson loses in the ACC championship to what's going to be at least a 3 loss team (could be a 4 loss team), this doesn't make the ACC Championship winner one of the best 8 teams in the country because they prevailed in one important game. In this case, I certainly wouldn't put Pitt, NC or Virginia ahead of a 1 loss Bama or a 2 loss Auburn to be in the playoff.

Unless you are trying to make the college football playoff like the NFL where all the division winners get a pass or even like college basketball where conference tournament winners automatically make the dance regardless of their record. If this is the case, then we still have to debate who gets the last 3 open spots and defeats the purpose of expanding to an 8 team field because we are pretty much back to what we have now, having to choose the best 4 teams to get in. An 8 team playoff field could work, but most likely wont have the 8 best teams playing in the playoff if power 5 conference champions are automatic bids to get in..
      Last edited by Pittsburgh; 11-12-2019, 02:32 PM.

Comment

• Buckeyefan80
        Buckeyefan80 commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m with pitt on this. Not saying it would happen and I would HOPE there wouldn’t be collusion in the NCAA but we all know they have made this a business and money rules everything. I bring this up because a conference or two could POSSIBLY collude to have their lower seeded team win so they get two teams in and screw someone more deserving. A way to get around that would be not allowing more than 1 team from a conference in but then you wouldn’t have the best teams in and you would probably have ND in it every year and no one wants that!

The committee has spoken.
      1 LSU
      2 Ohio State
      3 Clemson
      4 Georgia
      5 Alabama
      6 Oregon
      7 Utah
      8 Minnesota
      9 Penn State
      10 Oklahoma
      11 Florida
      12 Auburn
      13 Baylor
      14 Wisconsin
      15 Michigan
      16 Notre Dame
      17 Cincinnati
      18 Memphis
      19 Texas
      20 Iowa
      21 Boise State
      22 Oklahoma State
      23 Navy
      24 Kansas State
      25 Appalachian State

I see little to criticize this week. There are no total screwups like Penn State at #4 and Minnesota at #17 last week.
      It seems to me that the first three will make the playoffs and the #4 spot will play itself out in the next few weeks between Georgia,Alabama, Oregon and Utah. I will be rooting for Oregon. I Would like to see a preview of QB Herbert for the NFL next year.
      Last edited by TARB; 11-12-2019, 07:36 PM.

Comment

The main criticism that people are talking about is having Georgia at #4 because its loss is to South Carolina. Alabama's loss is to #1 at home versus LSU. I can see their point, but Georgia will be #4 by winning out and out with another loss. Winning out would include wins at Auburn and rival Georgia tech, at home versus Texas A&M and in the SEC Championship versus LSU. Georgia has already beaten three teams which are better than any teams that Alabama has already played, namely, Notre Dame, Florida and Missouri. Alabama has played the #39th difficult schedule to date. Which team other than LSU has it played that could have beaten Alabama? Alabama wii still have to win out to have a chance to get in. Winning at Auburn would become its signature win. Both Alabama and Oregon need a Georgia loss to get in. I still say that a 1-loss Oregon, winning out including in the PAC12 Championship game over Utah, deserves the #4 spot over a 1-loss Alabama. Maybe, a 1-loss Utah deserves it over a 1-loss Alabama. There are still a lot of games to be played to see how it all turns out. Undefeated Minnesota and Baylor still have a very tiny chance to get in. I think that no matter what happens, Oklahoma is out. Does Penn State have any chance to win out and get in?
        Last edited by TARB; 11-13-2019, 05:03 AM.

Comment

Do you think the Golden Gophers get in if they go 2 of 3 and Penn St beats Ohio St

Comment

• TARB
            TARB commented
            Editing a comment
            Probably not, unless Minnesota beats Ohio State in the Big 10 Championship game. It would be very hard to not have the Big 10 winner in the playoffs. A 12-1 Big 10 winner would get in. I just don't see Ohio State losing before the playoffs. Ohio State wants the #1 seed to avoid LSU and/or Clemson in the first round of the playoffs, hopefully playing Oregon or Utah. That is the easiest road to the National title.
            Last edited by TARB; 11-13-2019, 01:51 PM.

Minnesota's chance of making the playoffs is about 2% to 3%, very small at best.

Comment

• Senator L
            Senator L commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks! You know football like no other

Minnesota's loss to Iowa all but knocks the Gophers out of the playoffs. The big question is ''Does the committee penalize Alabama due to the fact that Alabama's best player, QB Tua Tagovailoa, is out for the season with a very serious hip injury?''. Will Alabama fall in the rankings behind Oregon and/or Utah if they win their games?

Comment

• Buckeyefan80
            Buckeyefan80 commented
            Editing a comment
            Luckily for Ohio State the playoff committee didn’t penalize them for losing their 1st AND 2nd string QB back in 2015 so there’s that... Also, if Tua is Alabama’s best player they have a lot more against them than most people think. He honestly is not as good as most people think he is. Granted I dislike bama very much but I think Hurts was a better QB for them than Tua. He had a good 2H in the natty because nobody had film on him, which is why he started the following year but bama didn’t play anyone until Georgia, which Hurts came into the game to win it for them. The thing is bama isn't top 4 WITH Tua so theres no way they’re top 4 without him but what do I know...

Baylor all but knocked out by loss to Oklahoma. Will Oklahoma move up to #9 behind Penn State or to #8 ahead of Penn State? Is Oklahoma still alive for the playoffs? I say #9 and on life support , if not dead for the playoffs.

Comment

I hope that the committee sees it the way that I see it:
            1 LSU
            2 Ohio State
            3 Clemson
            4 Georgia
            5 Oregon
            6 Utah
            7 Alabama
            8 Penn State
            9 Oklahoma
            10 Florida
            11-25 irrelevant for the playoffs
            Last edited by TARB; 11-17-2019, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Let us assume that LSU goes undefeated, knocking out Georgia in the SEC Championship game (very likely to happen), then which team deserves the #4 spot in the playoffs? An 11-1 Alabama without Tua that just gave Auburn its fourth loss of the season, a 12-1 Oklahoma with a few very close wins, or a 12-1 PAC 12 Champion that just beat a top 10 opponent for the championship, whether that is Oregon or Utah? Oregon and Utah have been blowing away their opponents down the stretch. I, myself, vote for the PAC 12 Champion. What say you?
              Last edited by TARB; 11-18-2019, 05:27 AM.

Comment

• Buckeyefan80
                Buckeyefan80 commented
                Editing a comment
                The only way bama should even have a chance is if utah oregon and oklahoma all lose. All 3 of them deserve to make it ahead of bama if they win out.

• TARB
                TARB commented
                Editing a comment
                I hope that you are correct.

I’m thinking more and more that Oregon gets themselves in

Comment

• steviev
                steviev commented
                Editing a comment
                Can't see committee taking Oregon in a conference that only has 4 teams over 500 and Oregon's biggest game was a loss to Auburn who will probably end up with 4 losses. Nut you never know.

Its crazy to think that the difference in talent from the #2 team in the country to the #9 team in the country is 18 points (PSU at Ohio St this weekend)...It really opens your eyes as to how much better Clemson, Ohio St and maybe LSU are than the rest of the field.

Furthermore, does anyone know when the last time (if ever) that a top 10 team was this big of an underdog (18 points without any major injuries to a team)?
              Last edited by Pittsburgh; 11-19-2019, 09:21 AM.

Comment

I see some people thinking that Penn State could move up from #9 to #6 after struggling to beat Indiana by 7 points, as a 15-point favorite. I just don't understand their stance. What is so good about that to jump over Oregon and Utah who continue to dominate their opponents? Minnesota probably drops from #8 to about #11. Oklahoma will move up a little, but should not move above Oregon nor Utah. If any teams jump Utah or Oregon, then that shows that the PAC12 is still disrespected by the committee.
                Last edited by TARB; 11-19-2019, 04:21 PM.

Comment

The committee has spoken:

1 LSU
                  2 Ohio State
                  3 Clemson
                  4 Georgia
                  5 Alabama
                  6 Oregon
                  7 Utah
                  8 Penn State
                  9 Oklahoma
                  10 Minnesota
                  11 Florida
                  12 Wisconsin
                  13 Michigan
                  14 Baylor
                  15 Auburn
                  16 Notre Dame
                  17 Iowa
                  18 Memphis
                  19 Cincinnati
                  20 Boise State
                  21 Oklahoma State
                  22 Iowa State
                  23 USC
                  24 Appalachian State
                  25 SMU

The committee didn't have the guts to drop Alabama down. Is the committee waiting for LSU to knock Georgia out of the playoffs and bump Alabama into the #4 spot? I think that might be the case and if Oregon or Utah wins out, then you know that the committee is corrupt.
                  Last edited by TARB; 11-19-2019, 07:32 PM.

Comment

• Buckeyefan80
                    Buckeyefan80 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    “The committee didn't have the guts to drop Alabama down. Is the committee waiting for LSU to knock Georgia out of the playoffs and bump Alabama into the #4 spot? I think that might be the case and if Oregon or Utah wins out, then you know that the committee is corrupt.”

Agree 10000%!!! Bama in NO way deserves to be in there if they can’t even win not only their Conference, but their own Division. I would like to know how losing on the road to a ranked team is worse than losing at home to an under .500 team? The only reason Georgia has better “wins” is because how the media favors the SEC and keeps those teams high in the rankings even after they lose to mediocre teams. If they are going to reward NOT winning your Division they really need to think long and hard about expanding the playoffs to include teams that actually WIN their Conference. They shouldn’t be faulting teams for the Conference they play in and win and rewarding teams for weak OOC games and NOT winning their Division. Even if anyone thinks Bama, or any other team that doesn’t win their Conference, is a top 4 team they should have to prove it on the field against Conference Champions, so expand the Playoff!

• TARB
                    TARB commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Alabama has played something like the number 40 schedule. It will drop further down this week when Alabama plays Western Carolina at home. ARE YOU KIDDING ME ..... WESTERN CAROLINA IN TUSCALOOSA? By how much will Alabama be favored? 90 points or so?

• Buckeyefan80
                    Buckeyefan80 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Bama won’t schedule a home & home with anyone OOC. They abuse the the system more than any other team. The OOC teams they play are always close to home for bama and they have a bye EVERY year before LSU. Hardly anyone realizes this. The committee def doesn’t. They reward bama just for playing in the overrated SEC and a crap OOC schedule.
                Working...
                X