No announcement yet.

Ranking the CFB playoff teams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The committee just has to punish Alabama for playing such a weak schedule.

Comment

• steviev
      steviev commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with you but, should Clemson be rewarded for Charlotte and Wofford.

• TARB
      TARB commented
      Editing a comment
      Alabama's non conference schedule:
      -34 over Duke on neutral field
      -55 over New New Mexico State at home
      -38 over Southern Miss at home
      -57 over Western Carolina at home
      average line -46 points

Clemson non conference schedule:
      -16 over Texas A&M at home
      -42 over Charlotte at home
      -47.5 over Wofford at home
      -about25 over traditional in-state rival South Carolina on the road.
      average line about -32.5 points

So, Alabama's non conference schedule is still much weaker than Clemson's. At least Clemson is playing a rival in its stadium.
      Last edited by TARB; 11-20-2019, 03:41 PM.

• Buckeyefan80
      Buckeyefan80 commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with you but, should Clemson be rewarded for Charlotte and Wofford.

Absolutely not. Clemson plays in a much easier conference. The crap part about this year is there aren’t any teams that stick out ahead of clemson or bama for that 3-5 spot.

Clemson is certainly in the playoffs, unless it loses a game that it definitely should not. As to the number 4 spot, there is little difference between Alabama (without Tua), Oklahoma, Oregon and Utah. However, in my opinion, I say that the PAC12 champion is the most deserving at this time, assuming that all four do not lose another regular season game.

Actually, Ohio State is in greater danger of missing the playoffs than Clemson, considering that the Buckeyes still have to play Penn State and Michigan, two very good teams.
    Last edited by TARB; 11-21-2019, 07:21 AM.

Comment

• TARB
      TARB commented
      Editing a comment
      What happens if the Buckeyes lose to Penn State and barely beat Michigan? Then Penn State plays in the B1G Championship. If Penn State wins B1G Championship, it would be very hard to exclude the team. What then for Ohio State? Maybe in, maybe out? I think that if Wisconsin wins B1G Championship, then Ohio State is in and Wisconsin is out.
      Last edited by TARB; 11-22-2019, 03:30 AM.

• Buckeyefan80
      Buckeyefan80 commented
      Editing a comment
      That's a very good question TARB. I would like to hear everyone else's thoughts if that were to happen bc I'd obviously be a homer. If that were to happen are the Buckeyes 1 of the top 4 teams? That's what the playoff committee uses to put Bama in it every year...

• TARB
      TARB commented
      Editing a comment
      All that being said, I still expect Ohio State to go undefeated, at least until the playoffs.

good stuff guys.......agree that after Clemson, LSU, Buckeyes it is nobody else does stand out, but if Oregon or Utah win out I think that is standing out....Oregon more so than Utah though

Comment

My top 10 power ratings:
      Ohio State 101
      Clemson 101
      LSU 99
      Georgia 94
      Alabama (without Tua) 91
      Oklahoma 90
      Oregon 90
      Utah 90
      Auburn 88
      Michigan 88

Comment

It looked a little dicey for Ohio State for a while when Penn State got to only four points down, but then Ohio State answered the call to win by eleven points. One more win should secure the playoffs and I think that the easier win will be in the B1G Championship Game. Going to Michigan next week will be a little tougher. I am making Ohio State a 7-point road favorite versus Michigan.

Comment

Oregon is now eliminated by its second loss of the season. Oklahoma barely survived, beating TCU by 4 points as an 18.5 point favorite. Oklahoma will most likely move up 1 spot to #8, but I think that the Sooners have only a tiny chance of making the playoffs due to their last 4 games, bad loss to Kansas State followed by 1, 3 and 4 point wins as 15, 10.5 and 18.5 point favorites. Oregon's elimination enhances the chances of Alabama of making the playoffs. Alabama has to beat Auburn and needs Georgia and probably Utah to lose a game . Utah needs to win out and Georgia to lose a game. When the committee meets next Tuesday, this is how I see its ranking:
          1 LSU
          2 Ohio State
          3 Clemson
          4 Georgia
          5 Alabama
          6 Utah
          7 Minnesota
          8 Oklahoma
          Last edited by TARB; 11-24-2019, 08:00 AM.

Comment

• Buckeyefan80
            Buckeyefan80 commented
            Editing a comment
            I’m not sure the committee looks at how much they beat the spread by, or at least they shouldn’t. I think Oklahoma could jump ahead if they win out due to having better wins and if Georgia loses in championship game. Oklahoma could possibly have 4 ranked wins vs bamas 1 and utahs 2. They should def be more deserving than bama and one could argue either way with Utah, given they win Pac 12.

The committee has released the updated playoff rankings. Here are the spots that matter:
          1 Ohio State
          2 LSU
          3 Clemson
          4 Georgia
          5 Alabama
          6 Utah
          7 Oklahoma
          8 Minnesota
          9 Baylor

The committee moved Ohio State ahead of LSU, but that would have happened next week anyway after the Buckeyes beat Michigan this week. My main criticism is the big jump up 5 spots to #9 of Baylor. In my opinion this was done to give Oklahoma better credibility, if Oklahoma beats a higher ranked team for the Big12 Championship. Thus, the committee has more options to add the last team into the mix, if LSU knocks out Georgia as expected. If Utah wins versus Colorado and Oregon, then the committee can still screw the PAC12 Champion, if Auburn knocks out Alabama, by putting in Oklahoma. Dropping Oregon all the way down to #14 is another way to hurt Utah's chance of making the playoffs as the PAC12 Champion. Oregon would be favored over each and every team ranked #8 or lower on a neutral field. This year's committee is just as corrupt as the previous committees.
          Last edited by TARB; 11-26-2019, 06:44 PM.

Comment

• Buckeyefan80
            Buckeyefan80 commented
            Editing a comment
            Can’t disagree here TARB. The committee has been doing this in SEC since the inception of the CFP. Gives them a reason to justify putting Bama in even when they don’t win their Division, let alone Conference. I still think Oklahoma would deserve it over Bama if they won out. One could make the argument between Oklahoma and Utah either way tho.

Has this thread died?

Comment

• Buckeyefan80
            Buckeyefan80 commented
            Editing a comment
            Probably not. Most people work and it is Thanksgiving. People have a lot going on right now.

I am so glad that I don't have to depend on this corrupt committee to keep Alabama out of the playoffs.

Comment

I expect the committee to put up the contenders next Tuesday as follows:

1 Ohio State
            2 LSU
            3 Clemson
            4 Georgia
            5 Utah
            6 Oklahoma
            7 Alabama
            8 Baylor

So, if Georgia beats LSU for the SEC Championship, then this should be the ranking:
            1 Ohio State
            2 Clemson
            3 LSU/Georgia
            4 Georgia/LSU
            If LSU wins the SEC, then this would be the ranking:
            1 Ohio State/LSU
            2 LSU/Ohio State
            3 Clemson
            4 Utah/Oklahoma/Baylor
            Of course, if the unlikely happens and Wisconsin upsets Ohio State, then Ohio State would probably drop to the #3 spot.
            Clemson will not lose to Virginia for the ACC title.
            Last edited by TARB; 12-01-2019, 06:42 AM.

Comment

Assuming Clemson beats UVA I’m guessing 3 spots are locked up. LSU and Ohio State both get in even with a loss in their respective Conference championship games. Georgia in with a W. If LSU beats Georgia it’s Oklahoma or Utah for the 4th spot assuming one or both win ? So basically down to 3 teams for 1 spot unless numerous unexpected Ls and we debate a Baylor or a Wisconsin.

Comment

• TARB
                TARB commented
                Editing a comment
                Wisconsin is already eliminated.

• Buckeyefan80
                Buckeyefan80 commented
                Editing a comment
                What if Baylor beats Oklahoma and LSU beats Georgia? They would have a better resume than Utah and would have avenged the loss against Oklahoma. That’s how Oklahoma got in over OSU last year.

Wisconsin, with road losses at Illinois and at Ohio State is definitely out of the playoffs, even if winning the Big10 Championship.
              Projecting that Oklahoma and Utah both win, then the committee will choose between them for the #4 spot, if LSU wins the SEC.
              I would choose Utah and the committee would probably choose Oklahoma. Oklahoma probably has the better wins, but also has the worse loss.
              Oklahoma has a road win over UCLA by 34 points and Utah won at home versus UCLA by 46 points. Than is basically a wash. Both have 7 point road losses. Oklahoma's was to Kansas State as a 23 point favorite and Utah's was to USC as a 3.5 point favorite. USC is definitely better than Kansas State. Utah's best wins over Oregon and Washington are about even with Oklahoma's two best wins over Baylor. The rest of their wins are against better competition by Oklahoma.
              Last edited by TARB; 12-01-2019, 07:39 AM.

Comment

The committee's top 15:
                1 Ohio State
                2 LSU
                3 Clemson
                4 Georgia
                5 Utah
                6 Oklahoma
                7 Baylor
                8 Wisconsin
                9 Florida
                10 Penn State
                11 Auburn
                12 Alabama
                13 Oregon
                14 Michigan
                15 Notre Dame

My biggest surprise is to see Alabama at number 13. I put Alabama at number 7 ahead of Baylor. Alabama would be favored over every team except Ohio State, Clemson and possibly LSU on a neutral field. If the first 3 spots hold up in the final rankings, Clemson will be favored over LSU by about a field goal. I hope that LSU routs Georgia this week and jumps Ohio State into the number one spot. I want to see Ohio State knock out Clemson in the first round to set up LSU versus Ohio State for the title.
                Last edited by TARB; 12-03-2019, 05:53 PM.

Comment

If Georgia loses Saturday and Utah and Oklahoma win, or Baylor for that matter, which team gets spot # 4? Big 12 or Utah?

I'm assuming LSU and Ohio State are in even if they lose and Clemson is NOT going to lose to Virginia.

Comment

I agree on Ohio State, LSU and Clemson. If Georgia beats LSU, which is #3 and which is #4?
                    Think that style points might determine if it is Utah or the BIG12 Champion. I have not bet on the PAC12 game nor the SEC game, but will be rooting for blowouts by Utah and LSU. I want the committee to put up the final rankings as follows:
                    1 LSU
                    2 Ohio State
                    3 Clemson
                    4 Utah

Please note that I have LSU @ 60-1 odds.

Comment

• Buckeyefan80
                      Buckeyefan80 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      If Georgia wins LSU should still be 3 due to the better loss, unless it is a thrashing, and that could set up an OSU/LSU matchup which I think is what most people want. Although it is hard to argue head to head winner behind team they beat.

• TARB
                      TARB commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I want the LSU / Ohio State matchup to be in the final game. I don't want LSU facing both Clemson and Ohio State.
                  Working...
                  X