MLB should shut this season down 

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLB should shut this season down 

MLB should shut this season down. The Marlins debacle is enough for me, but on top of it these games are almost unwatchable. 4 ace pitchers have already gone down. I am watching guys like Wade Miley pitch for 1.2 innings and then have the whole Cubs bullpen almost blow a 6 run lead. They are using so many new guys who just aren’t ready to pitch. I think 4 guys had their mlb debut tonight. Pitchers look way behind the hitters and I think more guys are just going to keep going on IR. There is also no way to make up these Marlins games now. I know it’s still the Marlins, but it’s not really fair to just have teams not play the same amount of games. If one more team gets an outbreak, they should really just give up on this season.

sorry,but do you prefer to watch and bet on ESPN Classic?ha!...........Country needs sports . my 2 cents.

Comment

Well, we will have the NBA on Friday. I expect some rust, but they haven’t had any positive tests yet in the bubble. NHL is also back soon, and if you like soccer that’s been back in Europe and over here.

A pitcher on the Red Sox got covid and is already dealing with heart issues related to it. I honestly don’t think the country needs sports when it is putting people and their families at risk. For what, a shitty 60 game season that probably won’t even make it to the playoffs? The nfl will be a disaster. I expect even more opt outs before the deadline. And what are you going to do when your Qb and other stars get it? It’s not like you can rotate in anyone like they are doing with the MLB.

Comment

agree NFL will be a disaster (contact)......Seems hockey is in the best place and am looking forward to Stanley Cup. About baseball,pitchers need 6 weeks before a season begins(report in FEB for April start,obviously,some were NOT prepared.

Comment

Yeah, I thought teams were coordinating with pitchers virtually on their workouts, but I know it’s not the same as being in camp. The Astros have introduced 8 new players this week and most are from the bullpen. The only pitchers I have seen that looked like it was mid season were Hendricks, Lester, Scherzer and Cole and most of those guys went 5 innings and were still rusty. Hendricks having a complete game was amazing if you think about it.

Comment

Hendricks outing was spectacular. Will it have an effect in a month tho? He's not a hard thrower, so maybe not. Cleveland just threw a starter 100 pitches yesterday also, but that is not the norm.

The injuries and the virus will continue to wreak havoc on this shortened season. I have serious doubts this will last a month, but we'll see.

A "bubble" has a chance.....the others? not so much

Comment

MLB definitely disappointing so far, but I don't think the Marlins situation should shut down the season. If there are more Covid-19 clusters among other teams, then shutting down would be right thing to do, but until then, I'd rather watch them play than the Koreans (even though they have fans in the stands!).

Comment

Are we shutting it down because its lousy and as a result its displeasing
                I would only support shutting it down if it were to become a health hazard to players. Testing positive in itself is not a hazard, becoming subsequently seriously sick is. (But we dont stop the Hockey season because one team gets the flu).
                "A missed FG is a turnover " Michael Lombardi
                “The bigger the edge, the fewer the bets we need to verify our strategy.” Jim Makos

Comment

• Dukowski
                  Dukowski commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Covid is nothing like the flu. It has shown to have long term effects on people’s health with their lungs, brains and heart. It is also much deadlier. There is already the pitcher Rodriguez who is having heart problems. What if his career is permanently affected by this, or just his health?

It is also the integrity of the game. If the Marlins play 15 guys who should be in the minor leagues, that’s not a competitive team. If the Astros bullpen is full of 7 guys that would be in minor league ball this year, that is also not up to snuff.

If this was the Yankees or Dodgers with this outbreak, I think we might see a different reaction from the league.
                  Last edited by Dukowski; 07-29-2020, 06:49 PM.

• Barryt
                  Barryt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Well Dr Dukowsi. The Flu has caused more deaths even than heart disease, so while it's not exactly the same as the Corona virus it's still very deadly.
                  However they both attack the elderly and the immune compromised. So healthy athletes should need to worry about those long term effects.
                  JMO. I'm not a DR .

• Dukowski
                  Dukowski commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What’s your point, exactly? I think I’m a Doctor because I read scientific articles?The flu comparison is void because the flu has been estimated to kill 21k to 60k people since 2010, according to the cdc. The US is past 150k dead by covid since January, over 500k dead worldwide. Those numbers aren’t comparable at all. You can google any amount of articles that show people have suffered debilitating effects on multiple organs after contracting covid. If you are young and healthy, the flu will probably not kill you and leaves no health problems after you recover. Covid just killed a 26 year old person in the county over from mine. Yeah, you might not see athletes dying from this because they are unusually healthy compared to the general American population, but that doesn’t mean they won’t get permanent health problems like Rodriguez potentially has.

Integrity? What integrity? The last 3 or 4 years have showcased blatant cheating. So it is no different.

Comment

• Dukowski
                  Dukowski commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I’m talking about competitive integrity. At a certain point, it becomes like using replacement players during a strike. It’s one thing bringing up some prospects to get them some major league time, it’s another thing when you have guys that haven’t even played top levels of the minors yet making their debut.

As for the cheating, they punished the teams and the Astros got off lightly, but they would never have been able to punish the players with that union.

Now Phillies are shut down thru the weekend......

Comment

• Dukowski
                  Dukowski commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes, and compounded by the fact that the Blue Jays don’t have their stadium ready yet to host games. I feel like the league is going to run out of room to make up these games. Are you going to make all these teams play an endless string of double headers with no days off?
              Working...
              X