Teasers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teasers

Just listening to VSIN and the guys on now we're talking about teasers in the NFL. One of them said the current stats show that if you teased all the Dogs on the season you would be hitting at about 80%.

So I was wondering if any of the regulars on here play teasers and if so what "rules" do you go by, how many teams and do you ever buy extra points?

I have been playing them quiet a bit this season, and to pretty good results in CFB. Not so much in the NFL. I usually play 4, 5 or 6 teams and usually just sides. Very rarely do I tease totals. I would love to get some insight and help from any on here that play these special wagers.

I would never play teasers using college teams. In NFL games 7-point favorites win the game by 1 to 13 points very often. In college games 7-point favorites win by 14 or more or lose outright quite often. The variance is much higher in college football games. The ''book'' on teasers says tease NFL dogs of +1.5, +2 or +2.5 up to +7.5, +8 or +8.5 and tease NFL favorites of -7.5, -8 or -8.5 down to -1.5, -2 or -2.5 points. The idea is to capture the 2 biggest ''key numbers'' of 3 and 7. More games in the NFL are won by exactly 3 points (about 16%) than any other number. The second most common result is by 7 points.

Comment

When teasers were first introduced by the books, a 2-team 6-point teaser payed even money. The ''pros'' were so successful beating the books that now you have to lay about -120 on a 6-point 2-team teaser.

Comment

That's what I usually do in CFB. I use my lines and if the betting number is off by more than 3 or 4 points from my number I play it. The guys on the radio were saying that they NEVER cross 0. I have found some success in doing that though. But it always has to be to at least 3.5.

TARB, thanks for sharing those stats, I just wrote them down to add to my ever growing "text book" with info I have gathered on here over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by TARB View Post
          When teasers were first introduced by the books, a 2-team 6-point teaser payed even money. The ''pros'' were so successful beating the books that now you have to lay about -120 on a 6-point 2-team teaser.
          So do most of the pros that play teasers (if any even do), usually only play 2-teamers?

Comment

I play teasers, mostly ten point three team( you must play three teams and ties lose). I had a good year last year and this year I have lost two out of 22 that I have played. Hope I’m not jinxing myself. I usually play 2-4 of them on the pro games each week.

Comment

I remember the old Stardust days 2 team teasers even money and talk was that teasers were just that, teasers and some people called them sucker plays, but the Pro's loved them and many times the Vegas books would cry especially during the playoffs about how they were getting killed on NFL teasers and at times were saying they may not take them then. If you are having success especially with 2 team college teasers then bless you because that's been taboo for a long time, but don't stop what's working for you. Strangely enough the South Point on VSIN said they had to reduce the payout on 6 team 6 point teasers in the NFL because it was a losing proposition for them. The juice is now getting close to being out of hand I would say. In the Old Days the Las Vegas Club would have a 14 point 4 team teaser that you had to lay 2-1 on and was getting plenty of action. Maybe we should have a Teaser page where you post one Teaser a week, any type you would be playing. May be interesting.

Comment

I was tempting to QUOTE TARB's original post...but then I would have to quote seye2see's and east coast's, too LMEAO. All good advice...but I'll add...

Yes, very beatable when even money and even at -110...getting harder, but now is where selectivity comes into play to beat the increased odds. As other said, colleges much more volatile, but if it's working for you gcotton, keep firing away. However, I have a sneaking suspicion that if you've been doing well on 2-team, 6-teamers in NCAA that you almost certainly would have been winning even more money doing parlays (at 13-5, or +260 or thereabouts). Obviously some of those winners along the way would turn into losers if you didn't get the extra points, but the much bigger payoffs on when the added points weren't needed should have more than made up for those. If you had a record of those wagers, go back and see if that's true. Maybe I'm wrong...but I doubt it LMEAO

I usually don't talk about my teaser plays (as I kinda feel like it's cheating LOL...also, it doesn't sound good if I'm bragging about hitting a teaser and my readers/followers only saw my ATS pick that lost. But it's a part of my weekly "portfolio."

As Dr. Odds would say..."this conversation is esoteric...how about some plays we can use to make money?" Well, we have a nice starter this Thursday with Broncos -2.5 at Cardinals...Cardinals in home dog spot on a short week and we can tease them to the very advantageous +8.5 and look for games to connect it with: Saints +8.5 and Cowboys +7.5 being the best options. For those who don't adhere to the "must cross 3 AND 7" rule, the other popular teasers this week will be on faves with Chargers -0.5, Colts -0.5 (if put back up at -6.5 opener that is now off the board), Chiefs PK and Falcons PK.

GLA

Comment

• TARB
                  TARB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Question: Dave, where in Vegas can you play 6-point, 2-team teasers laying only -110?

To make a tiny profit playing teasers laying -120, the extra 6 points you are getting on each team has to increase that team's chance of covering to about 74%. That is a very difficult result to achieve.

To make about the same tiny profit playing teasers laying -110, the extra 6 points has to increase the chance of each team covering to about 72.5%.
                Last edited by TARB; 10-16-2018, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Here is the break even point that each team has to hit for 2-team teasers:
                  laying -120: 73.855%
                  laying -110: 72.375%
                  even money: 70.711%

Comment

Originally posted by Seye2see View Post
                    I play teasers, mostly ten point three team( you must play three teams and ties lose). I had a good year last year and this year I have lost two out of 22 that I have played. Hope I’m not jinxing myself. I usually play 2-4 of them on the pro games each week.
                    Do you use key teams or are they all independent?
                    "A missed FG is a turnover " Michael Lombardi
                    “The bigger the edge, the fewer the bets we need to verify our strategy.” Jim Makos

Comment

Why do I think teasing down thru 7 and 3 is the way to go. It’s avoiding the dreaded back door!
                      i think LAC and Colts are good candidates as they are -260 and -300 to win the games, so -110 Teaser pays slightly better than the parlay
                      oh LAC are in England so cancell that.
                      Last edited by Barryt; 10-16-2018, 05:50 PM.
                      "A missed FG is a turnover " Michael Lombardi
                      “The bigger the edge, the fewer the bets we need to verify our strategy.” Jim Makos

Comment

If you can lay -260 on each of two 6.5 point favorites, a money line parlay is definitely better than teasing the favorites -110 to -1/2 point each. First the successful money line parlay returns slightly more money. Second if one team finishes in an overtime tie while the other wins, the teaser loses and the parlay pays a straight money line bet on the winner.

Comment

East Coast, If you are ever in Delaware, they offer those 14 point lay 2-1 teasers now. I play them all the time and have had success. They are fun to play and you get a lot of action for your money especially in the games where you get plus 24 or 27 points. You can get a lot of back door covers.

Comment

Working...
                          X