Churchill Downs selling Arlington Park to Chicago Bears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Churchill Downs selling Arlington Park to Chicago Bears

If you’re a horseplayer, what’s your opinion of this buyout? I see some cross-marketing opportunities here, but I’m not sure if the Bears can run this track more successfully than an organization with such deep roots in horse racing? Thoughts anyone?

I read they are buying it to be the new site of their Stadium and that is the end of racing At Arlington Park.

Comment

Arlington will be the new field for the Bears….the track will get torn down

Comment

What Mrvolo and Coachv29 said...so sad since I cut my gambling teeth at Arlington starting with my first visit in 1990. It's where I fell in love with betting and the whole lifestyle...also where I met Marty McGee, writer for the Daily Racing Form and he helped me land my first job there in 1993. And the rest is history.

The Bears are in the football business and not the racing business and the plan is to raze the track and raise a billion dollar stadium complex (similar to what the Rams did when owner bought Hollywood Park and built SoFi Stadium. I guess there are some people who hold out hope that this is just a ploy to get a better deal at Soldier Field or in the City of Chicago, but that seems like wishful thinking. And in today's NFL, the Bears need a new stadium and not just more upgrades to Soldier Field.

Comment

• capcondo
          capcondo commented
          Editing a comment
          I went to Arlington Park just one time a few years ago. It is one of the most beautiful tracks in America. It was a beautiful fall day in September. But, unless the Bears get a new coach (who knows what he's doing) and knows how to draft a decent QB, they're not going anywhere.

I guess that’s what I get for only reading the headlines. Thanks for the REAL scoop guys. As a horse player, this is so sad to me. Arlington was always one of my favorite summer tracks and one of the last major tracks in the Midwest.

Comment

I guess there isn't enough acreage. Belmont has a new Islander rink right behind the grandstand. Couldn't Arlington arrange something similar? It's not like they need any parking, they could share that with Da Bears. What will happen to the Arlington Million, Beverly D etc. Move them to CD?

Comment

It all starts with CDI and they did not feel it was worth it to continue racing At Arlington for many reasons and made a business decision to sell the property.I do not think you can compare their situation to NYRA.A lot of people will disagree but having played horses starting with Jamaica Race Track in Queens back in the 40’s the State of NY and racing in NY(NYRA was not in existence) have tried to succeed.There were a few shady deals but after the meet it had at Saratoga and looking at the new Belmont it appears to be headed in the right direction.

Comment

Sad, Sad, Sad.
              I have been to Arlington twice, before fire and after when very impressively running out of tents.
              (also 1 Arlington Million run at Woodbine)
              Can Hawthorne pick up the dates and more important the employees and horseman/horsewomen?

Starting to run out of fingers to count the tracks I've been to that are no longer in existence.

Comment

Working...
              X