NYRA Screws Their Fans….Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYRA Screws Their Fans….Again

NYRA has banned coolers and alcoholic beverages in their backyard. They are only allowing them in the picnic area at the top of the stretch. And they apparently have paved over half the backyard area. For those that have never been to Belmont’s backyard, it is a huge grassy area with picnic tables , enormous shade trees, simulcast tv’s, betting windows, and the paddock. Families and gamblers would pack the backyard on holidays such as Mothers Day, Memorial Day, Fathers Day, Belmont Stakes Day, and the Fourth of July. Now NYRA thinks these people will pay $8 a beer to sit back in a half-paved yard. It’s almost like they don’t want fans on track.

They talk about that every year up here at saratoga but have not pulled the trigger. Shame about belmont, backyard was hidden gem. Horse racing is a killing itself, too bad.

Comment

For over 50 years we always had a Belmont Stakes picnic in the backyard.Those we’re the days and at Saratoga I remember when they saddled the horses by a tree and lemonade was sold by the Jocks room from a bucket.My first winner was a 2 year old named Blue Man saddled by Woody Stephens in a maiden race in 1950.I was 15 and hooked for life.

Comment

Wow. Can you imagine if they did that at Saratoga. The fans would revolt.

Comment

There would be crickets at the track. They are catering to people with money who don't bet horses.Belmont will allow the small coolers in back, give away size. To bring in a large one at the top of the stretch it's 15 bucks a person. Good business model.

Comment

I know it's not NYRA, but to show you how bad the state of racing is here in Ohio; River Downs, err, I mean Belterra Park in Cincinnati isn't even running live racing on Saturday, Derby Day. In what would be their biggest handle of the year, the place will be dark.

To further show how bad it is, their entries for last Friday (April 29th) didn't close until 2:30 pm on Thursday the 28th!! Less than 24 hrs before first post, smh....they are consistently running 5 horse fields, which results in very little gimmicks being offered. Sad state of affairs here in the Buckeye State.

Comment

Horse racing is a dying sport, that is, it ever was a sport. The younger generations have not taken to it. Horse racing is losing its patrons as its population ages and dies off.

Comment

• DaveyShines
                DaveyShines commented
                Editing a comment
                The sport of kings. So many of the small, regional tracks have or will die off. Too many other options for the gambling dollar and the bad publicity around drug infractions and equine deaths (mainly in training) have not helped racing's reputation.

What TARB said 👆 is the very sad and honest truth about the very first sport I fell in love with.

Comment

Sport will never die so long as rich people are involved in breeding horses. Just seems like they view the casual fan as a necessary burden.

Comment

That was a perfect spot for people and their families to enjoy one of the last affordable sports days in NYC. Just sheer stupidity.

Comment

Totally agree, Astoria. Such a shame. But definitely not surprising from NYRA.

Comment

Speaking of screwing fans, I’m pretty sick of Churchill Downs shutting down their simulcast feed on Oaks and Derby Day. All year long, it’s ok for the daily fan to support the Churchill product, but on the marquee days they close it out??

Then Churchill splits the undercard coverage on NBC Sports, then NBC. If you are a chord cutter, it makes it very difficult to find the coverage. Especially at the last minute. I got frustrated midday and just stopped watching.
                      But the simulcast feed was immediately available for races 13 and 14, so us peasants could support Churchill again, when the rest of the world tunes them out for another year. Fvck you, Churchill.

Comment

Belmont first post today at 1500 hours. On a Thursday. Who wants to go drink beers at the track, late afternoon, then have to go to work the next morning?? Makes no sense

Comment

Originally posted by rdalert447 View Post
                          Who wants to go drink beers at the track
                          Hand raised!
                          And BTW- handle, race days, number of races all up significantly in 2021.......yes, during a pandemic.

Comment

Maybe I’m just being grouchy….

Comment

Working...
                            X