Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mrvolo
    replied
    I have to disagree that betting horses is a losing proposition.For very small investments over the years I have made a few 10K scores.I came close in this years KD but close only counts in marbles and horseshoes.I played 18, 50 cents tri boxes.1-10 on all tickets with every other horse.Each ticket was 3$ for a 54$ investment.Whoever used 3-10 in this way was rewarded with a 7000$ plus payout and not taxable.

Leave a comment:

• TARB
    replied
    That being said, I like betting the Kentucky Derby, where I have had some nice successes. I had Ferdinand and Alysheba at high odds. My biggest score was a stone cold trifecta and exacta on Silver Charm, Dr Bodgett and Free House.

Leave a comment:

• TARB
    replied
    The 18% take out on wps bets and 25% on exotics make horse racing a losing proposition.
    I stopped going to tracks about 50 years ago.

Leave a comment:

• TARB
    replied
    All tracks charge very high prices for beers and cocktails.
    They also soak you for admission and parking.

Leave a comment:

• rdalert447
    replied
    Maybe I’m just being grouchy….

Leave a comment:

• Crick
    replied
    Originally posted by rdalert447 View Post
    Who wants to go drink beers at the track
    Hand raised!
    And BTW- handle, race days, number of races all up significantly in 2021.......yes, during a pandemic.

Leave a comment:

• rdalert447
    replied
    Belmont first post today at 1500 hours. On a Thursday. Who wants to go drink beers at the track, late afternoon, then have to go to work the next morning?? Makes no sense

Leave a comment:

• rdalert447
    replied
    Speaking of screwing fans, I’m pretty sick of Churchill Downs shutting down their simulcast feed on Oaks and Derby Day. All year long, it’s ok for the daily fan to support the Churchill product, but on the marquee days they close it out??

Then Churchill splits the undercard coverage on NBC Sports, then NBC. If you are a chord cutter, it makes it very difficult to find the coverage. Especially at the last minute. I got frustrated midday and just stopped watching.
    But the simulcast feed was immediately available for races 13 and 14, so us peasants could support Churchill again, when the rest of the world tunes them out for another year. Fvck you, Churchill.

Leave a comment:

• rdalert447
    replied
    Totally agree, Astoria. Such a shame. But definitely not surprising from NYRA.

Leave a comment:

• DaveyShines
    commented on 's reply
    The sport of kings. So many of the small, regional tracks have or will die off. Too many other options for the gambling dollar and the bad publicity around drug infractions and equine deaths (mainly in training) have not helped racing's reputation.

• Astoria14
    replied
    That was a perfect spot for people and their families to enjoy one of the last affordable sports days in NYC. Just sheer stupidity.

Leave a comment:

• rdalert447
    replied
    Sport will never die so long as rich people are involved in breeding horses. Just seems like they view the casual fan as a necessary burden.

Leave a comment:

• gcotton
    replied
    What TARB said 👆 is the very sad and honest truth about the very first sport I fell in love with.

Leave a comment:

• TARB
    replied
    Horse racing is a dying sport, that is, it ever was a sport. The younger generations have not taken to it. Horse racing is losing its patrons as its population ages and dies off.

Leave a comment:

• gcotton
    replied
    I know it's not NYRA, but to show you how bad the state of racing is here in Ohio; River Downs, err, I mean Belterra Park in Cincinnati isn't even running live racing on Saturday, Derby Day. In what would be their biggest handle of the year, the place will be dark.

To further show how bad it is, their entries for last Friday (April 29th) didn't close until 2:30 pm on Thursday the 28th!! Less than 24 hrs before first post, smh....they are consistently running 5 horse fields, which results in very little gimmicks being offered. Sad state of affairs here in the Buckeye State.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X