2022 NFL P.O.W. Contest Question/Survey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Caseinpoint View Post
    The BIGGEST complaint that I hear among the players is the playoff format. I think most would prefer that they have the option to bet MORE on individual playoff games. I’ve also heard players indicate an interest in adding back parlay options during the playoffs. The current format doesn’t allow the others a chance to catch the front runners once they fall behind.
    Im no fan of contests that “de-value” the season long grind that this is and add a final jeopardy component, im fine with the current playoff format especially when u consider it’s mostly just for bragging rights.

Comment

• barnstorm
      barnstorm commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree.

Im no fan of contests that “de-value” the season long grind that this is and add a final jeopardy component, im fine with the current playoff format especially when u consider it’s mostly just for bragging rights. [/QUOTE]

I don’t believe that adding more wagering options to increase or leverage your wagers during the playoffs “devalues” the contest, especially since every contestant has the same opportunity to double down. Contestants who ended the season with higher point values will still go into the post season with a sizeable advantage, that they’ve earned. This option allows contestants to bet more on playoff games they feel more strongly about, which is what we do in real life.

Comment

I think I side with CASE on this one. The current playoff format is boring and adds very little suspense to the outcome. Most of the players become mathematically eliminated after one incorrect pick. I remember the year that I won this contest (about 10 years ago), I finished the regular season with the highest point value entering the playoffs. I made some bad selections in the wildcard games and quickly fell behind. However; because there were no ceilings on wagers and parlay options were in place, I was able to recover and come back and win the contest. Regardless of what the consensus is, I’m thankful to Mr. Cotten for doing this, as he’s put in a lot of personal time making this happen for all of us.

Comment

• gcotton
        gcotton commented
        Editing a comment
        Much appreciated Tony....best of luck this season!

It seems that we are in agreement to now use VSIN and the Don Best feed for our contest lines. I think we will still go with Sunday evening as a start time for the new week, since it seems that's when most books are opening their lines.

If there is any issue with a line or post by a participant, I will then and only then, revert back to the VSIN timeline.

I know the playoffs are a LONG way away, and Dave is the Grand Pubah of the playoffs for this contest. I am most definitely open to any and all suggestions for a way to change the playoff structure. If it's making each wager unlimited?? I'm not sure how to change things up...do we wipe out everyone's total and start fresh, and award points like NASCAR does for their playoffs (regular season winner starts with 100, 2nd place is at 95, 3rd place at 90, etc) or go with an even smaller margin between 1st and 2nd (3pts??). Or any other ideas will not be turned away.

Thanks again to all that replied with a comment and suggestions for this contest. This year's Week 1 thread will be up and running on Sunday September 4th. Probably early morning, so I don't forget, lol.
      Last edited by gcotton; 08-17-2022, 01:28 PM.

Comment

• gcotton
        gcotton commented
        Editing a comment
        Messed up when I said would use VSIN to verify a line movement, it is Vegas Insider, not VSIN

GCotton. I don’t think anyone is pushing for wiping out totals. Those totals were earned during the regular season and should stay in place. I think what Tony is saying is that we shouldn’t be putting five point caps on playoff wagers. You should be able to wager as many points as you’ve earned up to that point on any one game. Also, bringing parlays into the equation for the Super Bowl keeps most people live until the final game. With the five point cap format, you never really have a chance to get back into the contest if you miss your pick early on in the WC games.

Comment

Case and Tony are singing my song!!! Let's make the playoffs EXCITING! As I've said, you build your kitty in the regular season, but then money management comes into play for the playoffs where you bet whatever your pigskin loving heart wants to. WE earn the chips, WE should be able to bet them all on any game if we want to. The Super Bowl angle of adding some parlays is interesting, and can keep this EXCITING to the very last play! You prove your picking prowess, and your betting skills to show you are the true champion of the greatest contest in the land!!!!

Using VSIN lines is fine with me...We can always adjust the rules after a week or two if it seems to not be working the way King Cotton hopes it will. He won't be paying too much attention as he'll spend most Sunday nights cleaning bean dip and Coors Lite off his Marcus Mariota jersey after Falcon games. :-) I'll be cleaning barf off my Drew Lock jersey!

No need for the two-points for a win in Week 18 unless we want to have a chance to build you bankroll a little more with the extra point.

Comment

• gcotton
          gcotton commented
          Editing a comment
          Bout time my fellow Bird-Brained buddy chimed in.....was starting to wonder if he was at the top of the Space Needle still looking for Russell Wilson Junior the Third, lol

• gcotton
          gcotton commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh, and it's not a Marriotta jersey, that would be a Desmond Ridder jersey😉

• Seahawk Rick
          Seahawk Rick commented
          Editing a comment
          Good riddance to little Russy...He got too big for his britches, and would have been traded after this year no matter what...We got a lot for him, including Denver's 1st round pick this year, so suck Russy, suck!

Im good with whatever you guys decide for the lines. As for the playoffs Im cool with the no limit but i dont think we should get into parlays, teasers, etc. Just straight bet.

Comment

This survey gas been up forever and it should now be shitcanned.

Comment

Originally posted by gcotton View Post
            I think we will still go with Sunday evening as a start time for the new week, since it seems that's when most books are opening their lines.
            Really? Despite most saying we should wait until at least Monday? 🤦🏻‍♂️ 🤷🏻

Comment

Originally posted by barnstorm View Post

Really? Despite most saying we should wait until at least Monday? 🤦🏻‍♂️ 🤷🏻
              Only 2 people said to wait til Monday and 3 were wanting to start on Sunday, everyone else that voiced there opinion said they were good with whatever the consensus is.

Comment

• barnstorm
                barnstorm commented
                Editing a comment
                That's in this thread only. In the past more said we could easily eliminate the flaw in the contest by just waiting until Monday. Name another Contest anywhere that opens up on Sunday night? Hey, I'm just trying to eliminate a flaw in the process that has been abused by a few posters over the years.. No big deal. It'a Cotton'a contest and it's free and no big prize. Its real value is the reasoning for picks.

• Buckeyefan80
                Buckeyefan80 commented
                Editing a comment
                Fair enough, I haven’t really looked at other threads discussing it. Like you said, it’s cottons contest and theres not big money so however he wants to do it is fine with me.

So with preseason wrapped up and it being week 1 are we waiting until Sunday night to open the contest or will it be opened before?

Comment

This has always been a fun diversion so whatever you want to do is fine with me. My only comment is if you're thinking of changing the post-season, maybe increase the point value bet you have to make each round. For example, first round 2 points, second round 4 points, etc. You must bet each round and if you lose the bet those points are deducted. It still gives an advantage to those who did well in the regular season but allows those behind a way to catch up. I'm not a fan of multiple bets/parlays in the playoffs - since the format is always the one game you are most confident about it should stay that way all season.

Comment

Looking forward to 2022 NFL🏈… happy to return and thank you Cotton for heading the pack for the people.

Comment

You run a great contest G Cotton. Kudo's to you and Dave and thanks for all the work

Comment

I know we have some very vocal dissenters, but the playoff question was put to vote a few years back and the majority wanted to keep it with a 5-unit cap and straight bets. It is still the "Play of the Week" contest and should be just each person's best bet of playoff weekend and not a parlay or a 10-unit all-in play that gives that pick so much more weight than at any other time in contest.

I know it's frustrating to "basically be eliminated with one loss"...but with a field of 12-15 or so, you should have to run the table in the playoffs to be the champion. And if multiple people go undefeated and the champion basically wins the tiebreaker because they had the better record in the regular season, again, I have no problem with that. Seems totally fair to me.

Comment

• barnstorm
                        barnstorm commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Agree.
                    Working...
                    X