NFL P.O.W. (Play of Week) Contest: 16 qualifiers make wild-card picks here

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baltimore Ravens -2.5 (MGM)

I'm having a hard time thinking that what eyeballs saw a couple weeks with sheer domination by the Ravens will flip 180 allowing a Chargers playoff road win. Granted, LAC will be poised and ready but the amped energy goes both ways and being in Baltimore will be electric. West coast going east matters not so much in playoffs still it's a there. Lamar Jackson being a handful to deal with will cause LAC to pay so much attention to him I actually expect a couple huge passing plays at least. In addition to that, Ravens will pound Gus Edwards and company and they have arguably the best defense in the league and certainly in the top two. This is also the emotional hedge - as a Dolphins fan I need the Ravens to lose asap so Ross can make a Godfather offer to the Ravens for Harbaugh and set the franchise back another 10 years. I either get this pick right - or I get more Fins comedy our. Win-win.

Comment

• 2hollywood2
      2hollywood2 commented
      Editing a comment
      5 Units on this.

UNDER HOUSTON/INDY 49 (4 units)

Five of the last six times these teams have played the total of 49 has only been exceeded once. The mathematics of this game tells me the median averages between the team's offense and defense is collectively around 45. I think this thing ends up in the 42-45 range. Houston has struggled offensively at times throughout the season, and I think their defense will be fired up to play at home today. I like taking a play that no one else is on as well. I could be embarrassed if it turns out to be shoot-out and over at halftime, but I think this thing has under written all over it.

Comment

Colts +2.5

4.5 if i can use the half, otherwise 5.

Wrong team is favored her. The colts will win this one out right. TY has been resting all week to be ready, he has over 400 yards against this Hou def, they have no answer for him. Luck is starting to show old form and dissect teams apart. Marlon mack behind Indys line will do good enough to keep the def on its heels. Indy wins this one straight up but i will def take the points. i also lean to the over, if your betting tease them...

Comment

• SportsBettor
        SportsBettor commented
        Editing a comment
        Just curious but why would you prefer 4.5 units vs 5?

• FreeJack
        FreeJack commented
        Editing a comment
        my confidence wasnt extremely high this week and figured i would get the 1/2 point out of the way, lol. But is see in the rules we can only bet whole points.

Chicago Bears -5.5 (5 units) The old adage still holds; defense wins championships and the Monsters of the Midway 2.0 have the best (at least statistically) in the NFL. The addition of Mack via trade was the steal of this year (or any other) and he opens things up for the interior linemen (Hicks et al) to wreak havoc. Foles' lack of mobility should make him an easy target and he will be under pressure all game. Trubisky is a different QB at home and he has a solid run game behind him with the underrated but solid Howard and the dynamic Cohen. A deep and talented receiving corps and Trubisky's ability to scramble and run for big chunks will give the Philly defense and their depleted secondary fits. I think this team has what it takes to make it all the way to the big game in Atlanta. Look for a relatively easy cover on the shores of Lake Michigan.

Comment

Dal/Sea over 42.5 for 5 units

If there's a mixed consensus over who might win or cover the spread, totals often cover a broader more generic canvas of what the game will be like. While I like Dallas to win, with a better defense (and Seattle's former defensive coordinator and legion of boom architect), Seattle is certainly capable of winning as well. Seattle defense has struggled this year compared to previous years, allowing almost 5 yards per carry to opposing rushers...and Elliott just won the rushing title. Cowboys defense and offense (good overall) have played much better at home on both sides of the ball. Seahawks, historically have been less dominant on the road...also playing better at home. Most of p.o.w. selections here were Seattle early on, with a lot of later dallas selections. That's what vegas likes to do, get equal number of bettors on both sides of the line. So IMO picking a likely total is the best play. Two good defenses, but with faults, two two good quarterbacks (ok, Wilson better) and two good running games. Figure something like Dal getting up for another good home performance (6-1 ATS at home this year). Score Dal 27-24 OT.

Comment

Another Christmas present tonight.Had my largest bet of season on Seattle + 2 1/2.

Comment

• jdmoose1950
            jdmoose1950 commented
            Editing a comment
            Congratulations....although, the cowboys played "matador" defense on both 2 pt conversions!

My apologies for not addressing this issue before Saturday's games...but even though I mentioned in the 2nd post that only whole units were allowed, there was some confusion, probably as I didn't specify anything in the original post in this thread. Anyway, so we had 3 players (racingcat, FreeJack and mr pixter) wager 4.5 units...actually, racingcat and FreeJack both said they would do 4.5 if allowed but wager 5 if it had to be full numbers. So, we're grading those as 5-unit wagers and I reached out to mr pixter and he said 5 units on his wager as well, so we should be all set. Thanks.

Comment

Nice Tuley middle on the Dallas game---everybody who bet it cashed. A very generous bookie!

Comment

• Mrvolo
              Mrvolo commented
              Editing a comment
              Saturday all plays on here cashed.Very Sharp.

Awesome job, P.O.W. playoff qualifiers. 11-4 ATS on the wild-card weekend...even better 8-0 ATS on Saturday. Yes, the Cowboys -1.5/Seahawks +2.5 provided a beautiful middle for anyone picking that game, but as I said in the intro, that's the way it should be as we should always be trying to get the best number available and it's great when there's games like that (one of the rare advantages we have vs. the bookies).

Anyway, here's the updated standings...again, we'll post next weekend's lines in a new "NFL P.O.W. (Play of Week) Contest: qualifiers make divisional picks here" thread.

EAST COAST 14 3 0 14+5=19

FLORABAMABOY 14 3 0 14+5=19

MR.VOLO 13 4 0 13+5=18

RACINGCAT 13 4 0 13+5=18

MR. PIXTER 11 5 1 11.5+5=16.5

JDMOOSE1950 11 6 0 11+5=16

PHATMAN15 12 5 0 12+4=16

TEXAN 73 11 6 0 11+5=16

FREEJACK 10 6 1 10.5+5=15.5

BLUEANDGOLD65 10 6 0 10+5=15

MTHELLER 10 7 0 10+5=15

JUSTJULIE123 10 6 0 10

2HOLLYWOOD 11 6 0 11-5=6

COACHV29 10 6 1 10.5-5=5.5

DAVEY SHINES 10 6 1 10.5-5=5.5

CAP32 10 6 0 10-5=5

Comment

When will new thread be postedd

Comment

Originally posted by SportsBettor View Post
                When will new thread be postedd
                My bad...was working on preview of the DraftKings "Sports Betting National Championship" all day and had a lingering thought that I was forgetting something (luckily, I made it to the bus stops on time to pick up kids and then got them to all their Wednesday night activities, so at least I didn't mess that up as my wife is still in Hawaii taking care of her mother, who had a bad car accident last month)...guess this was it...I'll post the new thread now.

Comment

Working...
                X