NFL P.O.W. (Play of Week) Contest: 16 qualifiers make wild-card picks here

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL P.O.W. (Play of Week) Contest: 16 qualifiers make wild-card picks here

OK, here we go with the first playoff thread for the P.O.W. contest. We had 16 qualifiers who earned 10 points (1 point per win, half-point per push) during the 17-week regular season, so congrats are in order just for making the playoffs. As we made clear in the Week 1 thread at the start of the season, these players now use their number of points as units in the playoffs. We keep this as a P.O.W. contest as you make just 1 play per weekend (with reasoning for your play, please, as that's where most of the followers get the most value from these threads). You can bet a maximum of 5 units.

The other difference from the regular season is that you don't lock in your bets at the time you feel you're getting the best line. Instead, we use static lines for the side and total of each of the weekend's games that are posted on Wednesday...but as a concession to make it fair for those who feel they're losing that advantage of being able to line-shop, I'll give the best numbers available (so there's a chance both sides could win if a game lands in the middle, but hey that happens in real-life betting, too.
    Name Win Loss Tie Total
    EAST COAST 14 3 0 14
    FLORABAMABOY 14 3 0 14
    MR.VOLO 13 4 0 13
    RACINGCAT 13 4 0 13
    PHATMAN15 12 5 0 12
    MR. PIXTER 11 5 1 11.5
    2HOLLYWOOD 11 6 0 11
    JDMOOSE1950 11 6 0 11
    TEXAN 73 11 6 0 11
    COACHV29 10 6 1 10.5
    DAVEY SHINES 10 6 1 10.5
    FREEJACK 10 6 1 10.5
    BLUEANDGOLD65 10 6 0 10
    CAP32 10 6 0 10
    JUSTJULIE123 10 6 0 10
    MTHELLER 10 7 0 10

Type of bets.
    Can we bet M/l,parlays or only spread on Game,total and 1/2?

Comment

Here are the lines for wild-card weekend...again, 1 pick, also specify the units you're risking (up to 5, whole numbers only) and a reason you like the play...GLA:

Colts +2.5
      Texans -1.5
      Over 47.5
      Under 49

Seahawks +2.5
      Cowboys -1
      Over 42.5
      Under 44

Chargers +2.5
      Ravens -2.5
      Over 41.5
      Under 42

Eagles +6
      Bears -5.5
      Over 40.5
      Under 41

Comment

Originally posted by Mrvolo View Post
        Type of bets.
        Can we bet M/l,parlays or only spread on Game,total and 1/2?
        Just sides and totals for the playoffs. GL

Comment

I guess I will start us off. Good luck to everyone that made, and thanks to all that put time into hosting this contest. Back to back years of getting that week 17 win to get me into the $$$ round.

5-Units

Chargers +2.5

The Chargers are the best team in the playoffs (this week) and they will show it against a Baltimore team that had to hold off the Brownies to make it in (and they might be the worst team in the playoffs, definitely the worst 4th seed). Baltimore gets the benefit of the home game, but these two teams are so far apart it won't help. Chargers score often and Ravens won't be able to keep up.

Comment

• Caseinpoint
            Caseinpoint commented
            Editing a comment
            EVERY one and their dog is on Seattle, but yet those dumb bookies in Vegas made Dallas a 3 pt favorite...hmmmmm

• Seahawk Rick
            Seahawk Rick commented
            Editing a comment
            Case, I am with you on everyone being on SEA...It worries me big time when that happens anywhere, including this contest. The line dove 2-points own to -1 and I don't know if big sharp bets did it or just the average Joes. I feel SEA has the better coach and QB....DAL D has played fairly well, and first one to 23 probably wins.

• Seahawk Rick
            Seahawk Rick commented
            Editing a comment
            mtheller....I have seen Rivers throw many picks to choke away important games, and the BALT D along with running QB will give them a handfull...The NFL screwed them on the start time too...Should be a good one to watch.
            Last edited by Seahawk Rick; 01-05-2019, 05:03 PM.

OK,#2 picking.5 units Seattle +2 1/2.
          Seattle has won 8 or 9 playoff games in last few years and Dallas 1. They won a SB with some of these players and you have Dallas coach or Pete Carrol.
          Dallas tried against Giants and just barely beat them.Not even a close game.

Comment

• jdmoose1950
            jdmoose1950 commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice call vincent, we caught a middle between us! ( with a little help from jankowski)

Indianapolis +2.5 (5 units)

Houston is my favorite team and I am thrilled that they have done so well this year. In recapping their year, they have won a lot of games with smoke, mirrors, and a lot of "luck". This week, Luck is wearing a Colt's uniform. In both of the games with the Colts, the Texans could not find an answer for him. The Colts have the better offense with a young talented line, good recievers, and Luck who is having a great year. Don't forget their defense which is one of the top stop units in the league. Indy appears to be peaking at the right time and could go deep into the playoffs. This is a team no one wants to see right now. Colts win this one outright.

Comment

• FreeJack
            FreeJack commented
            Editing a comment
            what do you think of TY being questionable with the ankle? They are going to rest him all week and hes going to give a go. I like the pick, just wish TY was 100%, at least Ebron is back

• Texan 73
            Texan 73 commented
            Editing a comment
            You are right, it does concern me, but I think the Colts are on a roll. They match up well against Houston and have been able to block their D-Line. Coutee (WR) is questionable for the Texans and if out will put more pressure on Hopkins.

Seattle +2.5 (5 units)

Seattle averages 5 points more per game on offense than Dallas. Seattle leads the league in turnover differential +15. Seattle has the better QB. Definite edge to Seattle on special teams. Seattle has the better coach (this one to me is glaring, give me Pete Carrol over Jason Garrett 7 days a week). Seattle has the top rushing unit in league @ 160 YPG. Dallas rush defense was BAD in 2 of their last 3 games, giving up 178 to Indy in week 15 and 143 to Giants last week. Dallas last 2 weeks gave up 300 plus passing yards to Giants and Buccaneers, not trending well and why Garrett didn't rest his starters last week IDK?? Home playoff teams favored by less than 3 are generally terrible ATS. Seattle excellent in both Red Zone Offense and Defense, both top 10, and Seattle in top 10 in time of possession. No real advantage for short week home team as Seattle was home last week and Dallas had to travel from NY back to D Sunday night. Seattle by 6, wrong team is favored here.

Comment

• Mrvolo
            Mrvolo commented
            Editing a comment
            GL on this one and do not think anybody picks Dallas in this contest.

Bears -5.5 (5 units)

Trubisky doesn't have to be good for Chicago to win the game since their defense is great, he just needs to NOT make big mistakes..
          In my eyes, when you have a top 3 defense, and you don’t have a qb who is gonna set the world on fire, You simply need a guy who can take care of the ball and make the necessary reads to get his team into good situations. Foles is a very good qb but he has a weakness just like every qb out there and imo I feel it will get exposed Sunday...his lack of mobility.
          Last edited by Cap32; 01-03-2019, 01:31 PM. Reason: spelling grammar etc

Comment

• Mrvolo
            Mrvolo commented
            Editing a comment
            Also Trubisky has no TO in last 3 games.Bears are my SB team.GL

Eagles +5.5 (4.5 units)
          It's very difficult not to back good old St Nick in Philly as an underdog. Playoff games don't seem to effect him, nor should a battle tested playoff game bother the Eagles. Can't say the same for the Bears who are new to this kind of game after a long absence.

Comment

• Mrvolo
            Mrvolo commented
            Editing a comment
            Want Bears to win but will not lay points.If I did not have a thing for Chicago would take 6.A lot of points in a playoff between 2 pretty even teams.That being said everybody loves Eagles.GL and let Bears win by 3.

DALLAS -1 (5 UNITS)

The Seahawks are 3-0 ATS as underdogs against the Cowboys. Against Prescott, they’re 2-0 ATS. The Seahawks also easily covered as 1-point favorites in Week 3 with their 24-13 win.

The Seahawks have the better coach and better quarterback. They’ve already beaten the Cowboys this season. And they have a better record of postseason success.

BUT IN THE WORDS OF LEE CORSO, " NOT SO FAST"....

I think a heavy dose of Ezekiel Elliott, conservative play-calling and relying on defense is in the cards for Dallas.

And with a couple offensive linemen banged up, Seattle allowed a lot of pressure last week while trying to reconfigure. The Cowboys should exploit those same weaknesses to make things difficult on Wilson.

COWBOYS ADVANCE!

GLTA!

Comment

• Caseinpoint
            Caseinpoint commented
            Editing a comment
            Moose.... your comments were very prophetic. Also good thing you took the contest line and not the real world line. Great handicapping!

OVER 40.5 Bears vs Eagles [5 Units]

Too much talk of Defense and conservative QB play on this one. I see both QB's making more plays than they are being given credit for. Weather will not be an issue in this game either as it will be 40 and dry, which for Chicago in January is very odd. Foles will continue to have some success running this Offense that he seems to run very well and Trubisky will make plays with his arm vs a weak Eagles secondary and quite possibly with his legs vs a good Eagles pass rush. If I'm wrong then I can see turnovers being a factor in this game which will lead to short fields and points. Bears will exceed 20 points in this game and the Eagles have scored 20 plus points 6 weeks in a row, so I see this one in the mid to high 40s.

GL to all

Comment

Colts +2 1/2 Only thing that bothers me here is a wild card team going on the road after finishing the season on the road not the best scenario, but I just think the Colts should have beaten them twice this season and I simply think I have the hot QB and better QB in Andrew Luck. The Texans streak was good but not really against top notch teams. I'll take the points but love them in a two team teaser with the Chargers which in the real world is my biggest play.

Comment

• florabamaboy
              florabamaboy commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice selection EC. Colts owning Texans, not even a good game.. Hoping the road dog trend continues tonight.

Originally posted by east coast View Post
            Colts +2 1/2 Only thing that bothers me here is a wild card team going on the road after finishing the season on the road not the best scenario, but I just think the Colts should have beaten them twice this season and I simply think I have the hot QB and better QB in Andrew Luck. The Texans streak was good but not really against top notch teams. I'll take the points but love them in a two team teaser with the Chargers which in the real world is my biggest play.
            play is 5 points

Comment

Dallas -1 (4.5 units)

If half units aren't allowed, I will take it for the full 5 but prefer 4.5.

I'm not really understanding the love for Seattle in this spot. Offenses are similar, run-heavy attacks with some big play potential in the passing game from play action. However, the Cowboys have the much better defense and get to play at home. Seattle's run "D" will have trouble keeping the Dallas run game in check.

I have heard some people pointing to the week 3 meeting between these two teams. That is a complete throw away for me. That was Seattle's first home game of the season after playing their first two on the road. That was before the Cowboys had Amari Cooper and Michael Gallup has developed a little more since then too.

Admittedly, the coaching edge goes to Seattle and that is my one concern. But ultimately, I think the Dallas defense and home field advantage make the difference. Dallas wins by a FG.

Comment

Working...
              X