This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 nfl p.o.w. Week #1 (sept 5-9) post plays here

This is the thread for the 2019 VFV NFL P.O.W. contest. The following are the rules for this year (the same as in the past):

1. All contestants must be a member in good standing with VFV
    2. Players make one (1) single play ATS each week during the NFL regular season
    3. A correct play results in one (1) point being awarded. A "push" or tie, results in a half point (1/2) being awarded
    4. An Incorrect play results in zero (0) points being awarded
    5. All lines MUST be taken from the following website each week: http://www.vegasinsider.com/nfl/odds/las-vegas/
    6. All lines must be -110 or less (must be posted on above site...no buying 1/2 point)
    7. Only Vegas Sports Books listed on the VI website will be allowed
    8. The following Books will NOT be allowed: VI Consensus, BetOnline, PepperMill, Atlantis Reno
    9. The following selections are allowed: Full Game Side, Full Game Total, First Half Side, First Half Total (NO MONEYLINES ALLOWED)
    10. Plays MUST be submitted each week by kickoff of last scheduled game.
    11. Plays must be in the following format (or close to it):

2018 NFL P.O.W. (0-0-0 (post your current record here))

Atlanta Falcons +3 (Golden Nugget)
    (This is where you will post your reasoning for this selection. It doesn't have to be a book or even a full paragraph, but more than just "I think the Falcons are better.")

12. Myself, Seahawk Rick (the artist formerly known as Cybergolf) or any other I deem so, will have final ruling on if a play is valid (ie: Wrong line, Wrong Book, Not enough reasoning given, etc)
    13. The first couple of weeks I will give the benefit of the doubt to any newcomers on here...veterans, you know the rules, LMEAO
    14. To qualify for the playoff round of this competition, players must have a total of 10 points by the end of the regular season (week 17)...important note: your points will be the number of Units you start with in the playoff portion of the contest that runs through the Super Bowl)
    15. For the first time, this year, Week 17 will be worth 2 points for a correct selection and 1 point for a push.
    16. Prizes to be determined by DaveTuley....we've had fellow posters offer up prizes in the past, so please let me know if anyone has anything to offer or ideas for yours truly (yes, this is an edit by DaveTuley I'd like to have a prize for the person earning the most points during the regular season...and then the overall champ after the Super Bowl (and perhaps a runner-up prize).
    17. NO EDITING!!!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask and best of luck this season!

I updated the rules above to show the new rule regarding Week 17. I made the executive decision to also make a "push" in Week 17 worth a full point(1), instead of the normal half point(0.5).

I will try and start each weeks thread on Sunday afternoon, early evening, as that is when most Books put up their opening numbers.

Comment

INDIANAPOLIS COLTS +6.5 WESTGATE

I think that there has been a vast overreaction to Andrew Luck's retirement. Brissett has been with the Colts for two years, starting many games while Luck was injured. RB Gordon was given an ultimatum by the Chargers, report and play under his current contract or stay away, just stop asking for more money. I love that approach by the Chargers GM and I think that Dallas owner Jones should do the same with RB Elliott. I doubt that Gordon will play in this game and even if he does he won't give his best effort because he would be disgruntled. I will take the generous points with a talented team.

Comment

Denver Broncos +1 (MGM)

I like Denver to win the game so I will certainly take the added point as a bonus. I bet Denver money line at +120 back in July. I like the hire of Fangio as head coach for Denver. Their defense was already the strength of the team but could become a truly dominant unit. Denver D-line should control the line of scrimmage and I think Carr handles pressure poorly, probably will make a couple of dumb mistakes which will result in turnovers.

Comment

2019 NFL P.O.W. (0-0-0 YTD)

Kansas City Chiefs -4 (Everywhere, but Westgate for leagl purposes, lol)
          Way too few of points for the most potent offense in the league to be laying in Week 1. Word came down today too, that JAX will not practice on Wednesday, due to the hurricane, so their schedule will be all messed up to start. The only thing that scares me is that if the field is sloppy, I think JAX can keep it close .But with all the weapons that Coach Reid has, and now throw in Shady in the backfield, I think this could be your Super Bowl champs.

Kansas City Chiefs 31
          Jacksonville Jags 17

Best of luck to all this week and all season long!!

Comment

Lions -2 1/2 Willie Hill
            Easy to fade a team that went winless in the preseason, has a head coach that has never coached in the NFL and has a returning team who on paper, looks weaker than their 2018 team.

Comment

Dave are we going to have the Pro and College contest this year?

Comment

• gcotton
                gcotton commented
                Editing a comment
                I believe he said in another thread that it would be up at some point Wednesday afternoon.

• Mrvolo
                Mrvolo commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks will look for it

Seattle -9.5 Don’t like to lay a big number right out of the box but, Cincinnati is not going to be that good this year they have lost A J Green for the first half of the season and Seattle has stockpiled defensive players this offseason. They are great at home and get a not very good offense to flex their new defensive muscles against take the Seahawks to roll.

Comment

• Seahawk Rick
                Seahawk Rick commented
                Editing a comment
                Sky...Post where you get your lines from please...King Cotton doesn't need anymore stress in his life he needs to numb with cases of Coors Lite...Per day.

Ravens -6.5 MGM Mirage

The Ravens steamrolled in the preseason. They will likely have a top 3 defense in the league this year. Miami is in full blown rebuild mode with a first year head coach against a seasoned team that narrowly missed the Super Bowl last year. Miami's offensive line is a makeshift bunch of cast-offs and I see Fitzmagic on his backside and a lot of offensive holding calls keeping the Fish to under 13 points. He started with a bang last year, but ultimately was benched again in Tampa when teams figured him out. Trend bettors should also note that Baltimore is 8-0 ATS against the Fish last 8 games, and have cashed a ticket at Miami the last 5 times away. Add in the hurricane drama/distractions this past week in South Florida and you have a recipe for a beatdown.

Comment

Pittsburgh +6 (multiple places)

Steelers finally took one from Brady last year in mid-December but still fell shy of the playoffs. If you look back to that game, Brown only had 4 receptions for 49 yards. Connor didn't play this game due to injury which resulted in Jaylen Samuels leading all rushers with 142 yards (more than the entire Pats offense). No Brown or Bell this year for the Steelers but they were without Bell all of last year so Bell shouldn't even be in the conversation. James Washington lead all Steelers in receiving yards in last years game and he is back and more confident this year. Pats have a history of starting the season out slow in the month of September which renews early season conversations "is it time for Brady to hang it up", but he only shuts the critics up by mid-year when he turns into the Brady we have known over the years. Steelers have a shot to win this game since they have something to prove this season without all the drama in the locker room. I see a close game here not won by more than 4 points either way so I will gladly take 6 points in the season opener on the road.

Comment

NFL POW 0-0-0

49ers +1 (South Point)

49ers led the league in negative turnover advantage last year and it wasn’t close. Such teams usually kick off the following year with a cover, as turnovers are uppermost in their mind after a long offseason of wondering what might have been.

Comment

8 posts so far and 8 different games, lol

Comment

• Pittsburgh
                      Pittsburgh commented
                      Editing a comment
                      gcotton I think that's a good thing. Better perspectives on more games

• Seahawk Rick
                      Seahawk Rick commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks Captain Obvious! ;-) How do you get all those hash marks under your name anyway? Does that represent how many 32-ounce beers you drink during Falcon's games? Maybe it's the amount of brain cells you have left Monday mornings after Falcon's games! LMEAO! Maybe you just bought them on Amazon...Smooch!

Ravens -7 PlayMGM
                    they opened -4 my strategy this year is to focus on just 5 teams one of which is Miami and betting against
                    them. You don't have to be a football genius to know that they're going to be bad. When a team gives away
                    the season before it starts. trading away standout left tackle Laremy Tunsil, leading receiver Kenny Stills and former starting linebacker Kiko Alonso.
                    Fitz is a good journeyman QB but it is no fun getting pummeled for nothing
                    Can't see them winning many games

Comment

• Mrvolo
                      Mrvolo commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I bet Miami Under 4 1/2 wins and taking Baltimore in Survivor Pools this week but At some point they willl win a few games.
                      This coach is very good and players like him and when Rosen is QB they could surprise.I have been at this along time and the obvious is sometimes not the obvious.

Redskins/Eagles Under 46 (William Hill)

I've seen several cases being made that the Redskins will be one of the worst teams in the NFL this year, and that Jay Gruden will likely be the first coach fired. While this may come to fruition this season, when I look at this team I see a solid front 7 that can get to the QB on their own, and I don't think the team is quite ready to fold over and lay down in week one. In fact this might be the best game we get from the Redskins as they still can convince themselves they can have a great season, so i expect this defense to come out fired up and flying around the field. On the Philly side, while they are the much better team on paper i cant help but wonder how much(if any) rust Wentz will have in this game. it is definitely possible the eagles get out to a slow start. I think they are good enough on defense to keep Washington in check the whole game. All in All, the Redskins defense, combined with their own underwhelming offense and throw in some possible Carson Wentz rust, we could see a low scoring game here.

Comment

• florabamaboy
                      florabamaboy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      i played under 46 on a parlay with panthers plus 3.5 a few weeks ago. lines have moved in my favor, now down to 44 in most spots. think eagles d is one of best in league, like your pick sir.

2019 NFL POW 0-0

COLTS +6.5 Westgate

Colts are better than people think and will rally to prove everybody wrong
                    Team believes in Brissett and he is a good player
                    Colts have good line, good coach, and good GM
                    Feel line is inflated cause of Luck retirement
                    No Gordon and James are huge losses for Chargers

Comment

Working...
                    X