Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	8467

Click image for larger version

Name:	The Limper - NFL 2019 - Week 2.png
Views:	176
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	8514

Comment

One of the “bonehead” coaches I had in mind when I wrote my “preface” to this season’s projections was Norv Turner, architect of the Panthers’ loss on Thursday night. A proven loser as a coach, he has nevertheless found employment with 8 different teams, based unquestionably on memories of “his” erstwhile success with Jimmy Johnson’s Cowboys more than 25 years ago! Calling offensive plays through the fog his brain is enveloped by, he absolutely nailed the Panthers’ loss last night, with his call of a trick run on a 4th and inches on the 2 yard line that had no hope of succeeding. This is a man who stubbornly persists in strategies which haven’t worked in decades, who blunders repeatedly by forgetting what his team’s strengths are; yet, never fails to find forgiveness by the legion of fellow bonehead GMs and head coaches who hire him – over and over again. What I find frustrating, as a numbers guy, is that last night the better team lost, and it’s down to a variable I can’t effectively measure.

Comment

• NFL-Maven
        NFL-Maven commented
        Editing a comment
        Great info! I did not know what you just posted re: Norv Choker Turner being OC - now I know why CAR lost their two home openers...the CAR cats SHOULD have beat Tampa. I can see losing to the talented LAR, but not lose to James Winston's team...

Love this analysis, as couldn't agree more! Keep this thought in mind when thinking about the texans, as Bill O Brien is the modern day Coach Turner.

Comment

Originally posted by Aztec10 View Post
        Love this analysis, as couldn't agree more! Keep this thought in mind when thinking about the texans, as Bill O Brien is the modern day Coach Turner.
        You may be right; although playing the Saints in NO is tough, how they let Brees kill them with 37 seconds left has got to be on the coaching staff.

Comment

• NFL-Maven
          NFL-Maven commented
          Editing a comment
          I saw the highlights of the NO win over HOU - Brees is great and he has done this before...really can't blame this on the coaching staff when the greats make the great plays...

• WJCJR
          WJCJR commented
          Editing a comment
          The only way – the ONLY way - Houston loses that game is if they give up a field goal, and the only way that happens is if the defensive secondary drops back so far downfield it allows Brees free midrange targets to play pitch and catch with his receivers, moving them into field goal range – which is exactly what happened. Sure, Brees is a great QB, and more than that, the Houston offensive line is a complete joke, and they were lucky to have the lead at the end anyway, but poor coaching cost Houston the win because even a high school backup could have completed those passes Houston's defense allowed..

Views:	100
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	8641

Comment

I don't see greatness in playing pitch and catch when the defense rushes 3 and the back 8 is 20 yards off the line of scrimmage. Texans played not to lose that last 37 seconds. Look no further than the game in Seattle when the had a chance to close out the game by converting a 4th and a foot, Instead, Coach O'Brien chose to kick the field goal, and of course Wilson drove the Seabirds down the field to win the game in the final seconds. O'Brien has been making these decisions the entirety of his head coaching career. What you see as great Maven I see as a gift. Now his coaching gaffes are seeping into their player personnel moves. See Clowney, and 2 1sts + a 2nd for a left tackle who doesn't resonate greatness either. He sure has been given a long rope relative to his accomplishments.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	The Limper - NFL 2019 - Week 2.png Views:	20 Size:	94.8 KB ID:	8727
            Last edited by WJCJR; 09-16-2019, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Views:	22
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	8772

Comment

Working...
              X